Application to present at the 2019 AJEC Research Symposium
Hosted by Australian Catholic University (ACU) and La Trobe University
Venue: Australian Catholic University (ACU), Melbourne
The Australasian Journal of Early Childhood (AJEC) is Australasia’s foremost scholarly journal and the world’s longest-running major journal within the early childhood field. Published quarterly, AJEC offers research-based articles that are designed to impart new information and encourage the critical exchange of ideas among early childhood practitioners, academics and students.
The 2019 AJEC Research Symposium, Multiplicity: Exploring multiple perspectives, agendas and methodologies in early childhood research, will be held on 14 and 15 February 2019 at Australian Catholic University in Melbourne, Australia. The objective of the symposium is to encourage childhood practitioners, researchers, academics and students to share innovative research methodologies and findings through cutting-edge partnerships and collaborations, and to strengthen the research networks in Australasia and beyond. This research symposium will explore notions of multiplicity, and is calling for researchers to address one or more of the following themes:
- Collaborative, interdisciplinary or transdisciplinary research
- Opportunities and challenges of multiple perspectives
- Multiple agendas in early childhood educational research or potentialities of multiple methodologies.
The research symposium’s aim is to be a platform for the participants to explore the current perspectives, agendas and research key to the early childhood education sector.
|Call for abstracts opens||6 August 2018|
|Call for abstracts closes||5 October 2018|
|Committee abstract reviews completed and authors notified of outcome||26 October 2018|
|Presenter registration deadline||4 January 2019|
|Full manuscripts for publication due||15 January 2019|
|Final program published on website||4 February 2019|
*Please note: dates are subject to change. Candidates will be informed of changes to the schedule.
Applications are now open for potential presenters. To apply, please submit an abstract of your research paper relevant to the theme, Multiplicity: Exploring multiple perspectives, agendas and methodologies in early childhood research. Successful applicants will be asked either to present, or present and publish.
Abstracts and biographies
Abstracts and presenter biographies are to be submitted during the application process. Abstracts should be no more than 500 words and will be put through a blind review, conducted by the AJEC Editorial Committee. At the end of the abstract, presenters are to offer two or three questions that can be used as provocations for researchers and interested stakeholders to discuss and question the theme. The biographies must be no more than 150 words (for individuals) or 200 words (for groups).
Detailed instructions for completing the application are given below.
Types of presentations
This will be an individual paper presentation of 30 minutes (including a five-minute Q&A on that paper) given as an oral, roundtable-style discussion by a single presenter or team of presenters.
Roundtable presentations will not have access to AV and should prepare for a discussion format. A facilitator will be assigned to each themed group to assist in a group discussion once all papers have been presented.
Flash presentations on theoretical perspectives OR methodologies
This format will include an individual paper presentation of 10 minutes (plus five minutes for questions) given by presenters. Presenters will either present on theoretical perspectives (Stream 1) or methodology (Stream 2). There will be two or three presentations themed per session, and the discussion will be guided by a facilitator. This will be a competitive review process, as there will be limited places available. Preference will be given to innovative and thought-provoking perspectives.
Flash presentations will have access to the projector and will need to prepare a visual presentation (for example, with PowerPoint or PechaKucha [a maximum of 20 slides]).
When applying, please identify your preferred presentation format. However, please note that the final formats will be decided through the review process.
- All proposals submitted to the symposium for presentation will go through a blind review process, conducted by the AJEC Editorial Committee.
- All applications to present will be assessed to ensure the quality and relevance of the presentations in accordance with the ECA reviewer guidelines and ECA selection criteria.
- Once the blind review is completed, all applicants will be notified of the outcome.
Roundtable selection criteria will be based on:
- relevance to the symposium theme
- treatment of theoretical or methodological perspective
- congruence between aims of the project or research questions and/or focus of inquiry
- clarity of explanation of research methods and/or analytical and/or theoretical framework, in brief
- strength of emphasis on research findings and/or translation to practice and contribution to the field.
Flash presentation selection criteria will be based on:
- treatment of theoretical or methodological perspective.
A condition of being able to present is that all presenters must register for the symposium. No more than three presenters per paper will receive the Early Childhood Australia (ECA) member discount rate for full event registration. Abstracts will be withdrawn from the program if registration and payment have not been received by 4 January 2019.
Free of commercial interest
Any paper that is selling or promoting a particular product or commercial service will not be accepted.
For more information, please contact:
Early Childhood Australia
P: (02) 6242 1800
Publication of papers
Besides presenting, some authors will be invited to publish full-length papers in the 2019 special edition of AJEC. All papers accepted for publication will be submitted to the established blind review process, which will be conducted by the AJEC Editorial Committee.
Please note: there is no publication guarantee. This means papers can still be rejected or be held for later publication. Authors selected for publication must be in attendance and present at the symposium. Authors who do not present will lose the opportunity of having their papers published in the special edition.
Invitation to present at the 2019 ECA National Conference
Some presenters may be invited to present their research, with implications for practitioners, at the 2019 ECA National Conference in September. Further instructions will be provided by the ECA Publications team as required.
Successful applicants selected to present at the AJEC Research Symposium must agree to the following terms and conditions:
Presenters must be available to speak at any time during the symposium.
Presenters must register by 4 January 2019.
Instructions for completion of application:
- Applications must be submitted online no later than 5 October 2018. Applications received in any other way, including hard copy, or after the due date, will not be accepted.
- Applicants must include a 150-word biography (for individuals) or a 200-word biography (for groups) when submitting their abstracts.
- Abstracts must be no more than 500 words and submitted electronically via the specified portal. (All selected presentation abstracts and biographies will undergo copy editing before being printed in the symposium program.)
- Applications must address the selection criteria.
- Abstracts will go through a review process to ensure quality and diversity.
- All accepted presenters will be given the option to bring copies of a two-page summary (one A4 page, front and back).
- Abstracts will be assessed under three categories:
- Accepted—Present and publish: Selected authors will be given the opportunity to present at the AJEC Symposium and get the option to submit a full paper to be published in the AJEC special edition in 2019. All papers to be published will go through a blind review process.
- Accepted—Present only: Selected delegates will get the opportunity to present at the AJEC Symposium, but will not get their papers published in the AJEC special edition.
- Rejected: No further information or submissions will be required.
- Full papers: There will be a maximum of 15 full papers selected for the AJEC special edition, published in hard copy format with an online annex. Full papers will have to be submitted by 15 January 2019.
Call for papers Terms and Conditions
If you are selected to present at the AJEC Research Symposium, you agree to the following Terms and Conditions:
- Presenters must be available to speak at any time during the symposium.
- Presenters must register by 4 January 2019.