Welcome to the resource page of ECA’s response: COVID-19 site
Here you will find resources that ECA has curated to support your educator practice or continuity of service during this pandemic. Whether it is a toolkit for your own or children’s mental health and wellbeing, information and resources to share with your team or families, tips and updates on essential supplies, posters and songs for hygiene practices in your daily routines—you will find it here, along with links to sites that you may find useful.
Scroll down to explore or hit the navigation bar on a topic of interest. And please send us your suggestions, examples, songs and ideas so that we can add and share them here. Email us via email@example.com.
Early childhood education resources and research
- Preschool During the Pandemic: Early Childhood Education in Extraordinary Times
- Resources for Supporting Children’s Emotional Well-being during the COVID-19 Pandemic – Child Trends
- DAP in the Time of COVID: Questions to Consider – The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Supporting children to wear masks
- Mayo Clinic: COVID-19 in babies and children
- My Hero is You, Storybook for Children on COVID-19 – This book was a project developed by the Inter-Agency Standing Committee Reference Group on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support in Emergency Settings (IASC MHPSS RG). The project was supported by global, regional and country-based experts from Member Agencies of the IASC MHPSS RG, in addition to parents, caregivers, teachers and children in 104 countries.
- ACECQA COVID-19 information – Information, support and guidance about Coronavirus (COVID-19) for the children’s education and care sector and families.
- Impact of COVID-19: Early learning services will be vital
- How vaccines work – NSW Health
- COVID-19 and Kids Resource Hub & supporting ECEC resources– Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne
- Interactive Webinar on COVID-19 Vaccinations for educators and teachers
To share with families
- How to support children (and yourself) during COVID-19 – This guide has resources, and activities to relieve stress for children and families.
- ABC Kids ‘Ageless Friendships Singalong’
- Virtual Playgroups
- Emerging Minds resources for parents – includes an animated video that services could share with families
- Raising Children Network online guide for families
- ‘Don’t turn your home into a school’ Paul Ramchandani, Lego Professor of Play at Cambridge University.
- UOW Early Start Discovery Space (new videos, shows and activities shared every week day)
- Got a child with COVID-19 at home? Here’s how to look after them – Conversation article
- How to talk to children to about vaccinations – ACT Health
- Vaccination factsheet – Department of Health
Early education at home
- Department links for parents and carers – A directory of Australian education department and agency links, and recommended resources for parents and carers that aligns with our best evidence.
- The education hub – Early years activity ideas
- Teacher Magazine – COVID-19 practical tips for early years teaching and learning
- Storypark – Resources to support you through COVID-19
- Fairy Dust Teaching – Free eLibrary for Teachers
- NAEYC – How play connects to learning
- Victorian government – Literacy and numeracy resources for remote learning
- ECA – Spend a minute on creative arts
- ECA – Spend a minute on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander arts pedagogy
Harvard Center for the Developing Child – Early childhood and COVID-19 (23/08/21)
- This infographic from the Harvard Center for the Developing Child explains COVID-19 and what it can mean for stress levels in both children and the adults who care for them. They also offer solutions to help educators and families ensure neither experience long-term effects of stress.
- Plus listen to this podcast, discussing how to support healthy child development during a pandemic, including the importance of caring for caregivers. They also talk about what we’ve already learned as a result of the coronavirus, and what we hope to continue learning.
- Toxic stress — this Guide to Toxic Stress is to help clear up the confusion and learn the facts about toxic stress step by step.
- Early Childhood Mental Health -This is a Deep Dive on mental health in children featuring a video and an article.
- Access more guides and resources to COVID-19 and Early Childhood Development here.
- Is it true? Get the facts on the COVID-19 Vaccinations – Department of Health
- COVID-19 Vaccinations: Asked and Answered – University of Melbourne
First Nations resources
- Australian Department of Health – COVID-19 resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and remote communities -A collection of resources (videos, newsletters, posters and guidance) for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and remote communities, about COVID-19.
- WellMob: wellbeing resource for Indigenous Peoples – brings together online resources made by and for our mob. Find websites, apps, podcasts, videos, helplines, social media and online programs all with a focus on social and emotional wellbeing.
- SNAICC – The National Voice for our Children – COVID-19 resources for children and families
- eSafety Commissioner Be deadly online explores cyberbullying, digital reputation and respect for others, through short videos and posters created by and for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Supporting children with special rights
- Australian Department of Education, Skills and Employment – COVID-19 support for students with disability + resources for learning at home
- Association for Children with a Disability – latest COVID-19 information
- Leonard Chesire – Supporting children with disabilities at home during COVID-19 – a resource pack for parents and carergivers
ABC network resources
ABC Kids and Early Education Content
Educators looking for suggestions for families: ideas and inspiration for at-home learning (things to make and do with children).
Kids Listen Content
If your service isn’t going on excursions at the moment, check out these alternative resources to get active.
- Go on a Sound Walk, get Noisy By Nature or travel across Country for a Little Yarns!
- Finding more ways to have fun indoors? Mix up a Story Salad or let’s Imagine This …
- Feel like listening to this week’s news from a child’s point of view? Join News Time!
- Have a stretch, a wiggle and a groove with Dance Party and Shake and Move.
Wellbeing and mental health (31/08/21)
- Student wellbeing hub – Building hope and resilience during extraordinary times webinar
- Be You – Wellbeing tools for you offers a wide range of resources such as wellbeing plan resources, factsheets on mental health and wellbeing from other organisations and tools for communication.
- ECA Learning Hub – Playing with gratitude, by Rod Soper – a free webinar examining the science of gratitude and how combining it with the powerful influence of co-play enables positive change in the wellbeing of children from birth up to the age of five.
- If you manage others, developed by Beyond Blue and The Mentally Healthy Workplace Alliance has provided online resources and training if you’re managing a team under stress.
- Be You created a resource (in 2020) COVID-19: Supporting early learning communities to help educators look after their own and children’s mental health during the uncertain times of the COVID-19 outbreak.
- ECA’s Member Summary: Mental Health and Wellbeing, developed with the Be You team.
- Raising Children Network – Mental health and wellbeing resources for children (0-8 years)
- ABC Kids Early Education – Understanding big feelings with Moodies
- What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness | Robert Waldinger -TED Talk
- Helping Kids Focus | Headspace Breathers | Mindfulness for Kids and Families video – Headspace
- Wellbeing activities booklet – Education Department, Queensland Government
ECA’s Blog: The Spoke
We have created a COVID-19 category on The Spoke, where you can read pandemic-related posts by early childhood professionals, academics and ECA. Some of the topics covered include: ethics and safety, useful resources, online learning, how to create a learning environment at home, children as citizens in a pandemic and remote learning in early childhood. We have highlighted specific ones below:
- Preservice placement in the time of a pandemic
- Avoiding burnout together
- Flow theory wellbeing
- Understanding and supporting educator wellbeing
- Can you hear me? Creativity in the time of COVID-19
Resources from the government
- NSW Department of Education ‘5 finger breathing’ poster
- Recently travelled overseas
- Simple steps to stop the spread
COVID-19 Symptom Checker
This symptom check from Health Direct provides a link to your nearest testing facility, should you need a test. Click here for more information.