Last updated 05/06/2020
Early childhood educator resources
Welcome to the Resources page of ECA’s response: COVID-19 site
Here you will find resources that ECA has curated to support your educator practice or continuity of service during this pandemic. Whether it is a toolkit for your own or children’s mental health and wellbeing, information and resources to share with your team or families, tips and updates on essential supplies, posters and songs for hygience practices in your daily routines—you will find it here, along with links to sites that you may find useful.
Scroll down to explore or hit the navigation bar on a topic of interest. And please send us your suggestions, examples, songs and ideas so that we can add and share them here. Email us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be You COVID-19 resource
Be You has created a new resource to help educators look after their own and children’s mental health during the uncertain times of the COVID-19 outbreak. Remember self care is important right now, learn more here.
ECA’s Blog: The Spoke
We have created a COVID-19 category on The Spoke, where you can read pandemic-related posts by early childhood professionals, academics and ECA. Some of the topics covered include: ethics and safety, useful resources, online learning, how to create a learning environment at home, children as citizens in a pandemic and remote learning in early childhood.
Resources from the government
The resources below and share them online or at your service!
- NSW Department of Education ‘5 finger breathing’ poster (18 May 2020)
- Good hygiene is in your hands
- Recently travelled overseas
- Simple steps to stop the spread
To share with families
- ABC Kids ‘Ageless Friendships Singalong’ (18 May)
- Virtual Playgroups (15 May)
- Emerging Minds resources for parents – includes an animated video that services could share with families
- Raising Children Network online guide for families
- ‘Don’t turn your home into a school’ Paul Ramchandani, Lego Professor of Play at Cambridge University.
- UOW Early Start Discovery Space (new videos, shows and activities shared every week day)
ABC network resources
ABC Kids and Early Education Content
Educators looking for suggestions for families: ideas and inspiration for at home activities (things to make and do with children).
Kids Listen Content
If your service isn’t going on excursions at the moment, check out these alternative resources to get active.
- Go on a Sound Walk, get Noisy By Nature or travel across Country for a Little Yarn!
- Finding more ways to have fun indoors? Mix up a Story Salad or let’s Imagine This …
- Feel like listening to this week’s news from a child’s point of view? Join News Time!
- Have a stretch, a wiggle and a groove with Dance Party and Shake and Move.
Useful articles for educators of any age group/read and share/ideas when engaging with families.
Harvard Center for the Developing Child
This infographic from the Harvard Center for the Developing Child explains COVID-19 and what it can mean for stress levels in both children and the adults who care for them. They also offer solutions to help educators and families ensure neither experience long-term effects of stress.
Plus listen to this podcast, discussing how to support healthy child development during a pandemic, including the importance of caring for caregivers. They also talk about what we’ve already learned as a result of the coronavirus, and what we hope to continue learning.
Some ECEC services are having difficulty ordering food and other groceries from their usual supplier. This appears to be largely due to widespread public fear of COVID-19 and the potential need for periods of isolation. Some consultation with people in the food services industry suggests there are no significant supply issues per se, but the supply chain is experiencing unusual demand pressures. (Watch an interview with Cathy Harris, Chair of Harris Farm, who says Australia has the groceries it needs and there is no need to panic. Click here to find the ABC 7:30 interview).
Are you buying wholesale? You may have to buy larger quantities but they generally have good online ordering systems and regular delivery. Can you band together with other ECEC providers in your area to buy in bulk from wholesale suppliers? This could be an option to switch to, you may have to buy larger quantities but they generally have good online ordering systems and regular delivery options. Another option is to purchase from local market grocers who will often deliver during the week, or specialty suppliers with a social purpose such as ‘Who Gives a Crap’ for toilet paper.
Wholesale suppliers and local market grocers listed below:
- Bidfood(Australia wide)
- PFD Food Services(Australia wide) fresh seafood and meat together with frozen products, dry goods, paper products and cleaning solutions.
- Market Grocer(Sydney),
- Harris Farm(ACT & Sydney)
- WA Fresh(Perth metro, Wandering, Williams and Boddington)
- Catch of the Day(Bargain shopping)
- Find your local farmers market around Australia
- Amazon Australia,Officeworks and Who Gives a Crap and Pure Planet (for eco-friendly toilet and tissue paper)
Please send us your suggestions to add to this list or tell us how you are managing to secure essential supplies. You can email us at email@example.com or follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/earlychildhoodaustralia.
COVID-19 Symptom Checker
This symptom check from Health Direct provides a link to your nearest testing facility, should you need a test. Click here for more information.