Early Childhood Australia is delighted to announce the launch of Early Years Connect, a new project delivered in partnership with C&K and Autism Queensland that is proudly funded and supported by the Queensland Government.
Early Years Connect is a professional development package which has been designed to support early childhood education and care (ECEC) educators working with children with complex additional needs. This includes children with a disability, significant development delay and complex social, emotional and behavioural needs.
The professional development package will comprise of:
- face-to-face workshops and sessions (October 2015 to June 2016 with dates and locations across Queensland to be announced soon)
- online modules
- topical webinars
- an e-journal facility
- blogging opportunities with specialist experts
- information sheets.
These components will support educators, as well as Governance Boards and Committee members, to:
- gain a practical understanding of disability support legislation, standards, frameworks and policy
- understand the types of disabilities, significant development delays and complex social, emotional and behavioural needs
- plan for and make ongoing educational adjustments to ensure children with a disability and complex additional needs can participate in programs
- prepare new educators to the ECEC sector to work with children with complex additional needs
- learn new ways of engaging and forming partnerships with support professionals and agencies
- prepare for the introduction of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
In this way, Early Years Connect will help to achieve an important vision:
That Queensland ECEC educators are resourced and supported to the level required to include children with a disability and to achieve high quality outcomes for all children.