The Circle of Security is a way of thinking about emotion and behaviour that enables early childhood professionals to look beyond a child’s immediate behaviour and think about how to meet their genuine relationship needs.
Author Robyn Dolby is a psychologist with 35 years’ experience working in the infant mental health field. In this book, she demonstrates how practitioners can use the Circle of Security to create secure opportunities for children to learn by meeting their relationship needs.
Robyn demonstrates how to:
- conduct judgement-free, empathic discussions about behaviour with children, parents, educators and other carers
- tailor your approach to reach children who are difficult to connect with
- make use of important transition times to build strong emotional links with families
- increase understanding of your personal emotional map to assist you in reflecting on, and improving, your practice
- help children develop social skills by being with them, with their peers.
Also available in e-version here.