A valuable resource for educators, carers and parents to provide fun and enriching musical experiences for young children. Practical support and detailed instructions are given for sharing music confidently and effectively, especially for those with very little musical experience.
The educator and children can explore musical concepts together through musical play involving games, singing, movement, playing and improvising on instruments, and conducting. Music magic helps educators and carers who would like to develop their own musical expertise and involve children in educational play that is also fun.
This book includes:
- eight chapters covering all the fundamental musical concepts
- over 30 songs and games
- CD with all the songs for each chapter and educator tutorials
- detailed explanation of ways to share songs and games with children
- Playcards with song lyrics and summaries of songs and games for each session, plus lanyard with cardholder so the educator can work hands-free
- Take-home notes for parents on ways to continue Music magic at home.
Author Lucy Bainger is an early childhood music teacher with more than twenty years experience making music with young children. She has travelled widely observing the ways children play, experience and learn about music in different cultures. On recent trips to India and Nepal she has spent time teaching and sharing music with children living in orphanages and schools.
Lucy studied music at the University of Adelaide and in Europe at the Franz Liszt Academy in Budapest exploring different pedagogies. Then in 2008 Lucy completed her Masters in Music Education at Monash University. She continued on to finish her PhD in ‘Effective professional development in music for early childhood teachers’ at Monash University in 2012. Lucy is currently Undergraduate Music Lecturer to students undertaking the Bachelor of Early Childhood and she continues to teach music to preschool, primary and instrumental students in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales.