The word ‘behaviour’ is often taken to only refer to inappropriate behaviour. However, by opening our thinking and recognising behaviour as a means of communication we are much more likely to be able to support children’s development more effectively. This book offers essential guidance on:
- promoting positive behaviour in the early years
- recognising the complexities of understanding behaviour and the impact it has on children’s social development
- creating positive partnerships with parents to develop a shared confidence in interpreting children’s behaviour
- enabling children’s learning about their own and others’ thinking in the context of their social connections
- practical suggestions for building on existing effective practice and creating an environment that supports children’s emotional wellbeing.