Expressions of interest are invited for the position of ECA Publications Editor on the ECA Publications Committee
The ECA Publications Committee is a voluntary committee of early childhood professionals together with the ECA Publications Manager and CEO. The committee includes a member of the ECA Board of Directors. The committee includes the Publications Committee Chair, the Co-Editors of Every Child and the Editor of the Australasian Journal of Early Childhood (AJEC). The committee meets face-to-face in Canberra three times a year and communicates by email as needed.
ECA publications currently include AJEC (professional peer reviewed journal), Every Child (magazine for early childhood professionals), Research in Practice Series (for early childhood professionals), and the Everyday Learning Series (for parents, students and early childhood professionals).
The role of the committee is to ensure that ECA publications (including on-sold publications):
- are consistent with the aims and objects of the organisation
- meet the needs and requirements of ECA customers and the organisation, and developing areas important to early childhood
- meet ECA quality standards in style, content, format and ethical issues
- are financially viable, except where a decision is made that the organisation should underwrite them for organisational reasons agreed by the Board
- are consistent with ECA reconciliation and inclusion policies.
In addition, the Publications Committee advises the ECA publications section on markets and marketing where appropriate and other issues relevant to the success of the ECA publications, such as new developments in the field. Between meetings, the Publications Committee members work with the ECA publications section as needed providing advice and support, overviewing final drafts of publications and assisting in resolving any issues that may arise.
The ECA Publications Editor
Responsibilities of the ECA Publications Editor
As a member of the ECA Publications Committee, the Editor is responsible for:
- ensuring publications are consistent with the ECA Code of Ethics
- forward planning of publication editions in conjunction with the Publications Committee
- briefing the author/s verbally and in writing based on the initial notes developed by the Publications Committee
- deciding on the timing of the review process for the submitted manuscript
- considering reviewer reports and making written recommendations to the author/s
- reviewing/approving the content of each edition, looking out for content or messages that would be counterintuitive to ECA values
- maintaining effective liaison with the ECA national office and the respective in-house editor of each publication
- supporting publication authors as appropriate.
- individual membership of ECA and commitment to the aims of the organisation
- willingness to commit time to the role and work with the other committee members
- a broadly based knowledge of early childhood and of early childhood education and care from parenting and home-based care to tertiary training, particularly in the area of publications for all of these sectors
- ability to build links with potential writers in different areas of early childhood knowledge and different areas of Australia
- experience and knowledge in writing for publications
- ability to work effectively with staff, community and other organisations
- facilitation, negotiation, conflict resolution and leadership skills
- good writing skills and understanding of editing.
- experience in working with a professional committee
- experience/knowledge of marketing of publications
- experience in publishing
- knowledge of web development.
Position start and term
The position of ECA Publications Editor will start from January 2017 for a term of three years.
Applications must include: A curriculum vitae and cover letter addressing the selection criteria
Applications to: Christopher Jones, Publishing and Studio Manager—firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Wednesday 2 November 2016
For further information about the position contact email@example.com